Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wine Tasting - Peter Mertes Platinum Riesling Spätlese




Name: Peter Mertes Platinum Riesling Spatlese
Variety: Riesling
Region: Mosel
Country: Germany
Year: 2011
Price: $6.95

Wine Critic Review: Peter Mertes' Spatlese Riesling offers a breezy balance of sweetness and acidity perfect for relaxing at the end of the day. Enticing notes of green apple, melon, and citrus are balanced by a hint of minerality on the palate. Try pairing with bold, spicy foods!

My Review: This smooth, gold colored wine had a really crisp, clean, apple nose.  I enjoyed the aromas of this wine, but the taste was really nice, because it was a good balance between granny smith apple and some melon flavors.  I think it was a little sweeter then I usually like to get, but it still had a crispness to it that reminded me of nice apple flavors. 

We had a German night, and I tried this with Jägerschnitzel, Blaukraut, and a German potato salad.  It softened some of the more acidic green apple tastes, but otherwise did not seem to influence the wine too much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment