Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tasting 21. March - Tinto Figaro



Name: Tinto Figaro
Variety: 100% Garnacha
Region: Calatyud
Country: Spain
Year: 2009
Price: $6.95

Wine Shop Review: Figaro is 100% Garnacha, made from a selection of the best grapes grown in the oldest vineyards. While not truly an “oaked wine”, a short stay in oak barrels provides a nice spicy flavor boost. Bright violet. Dark berry and cherry aromas show a jammy aspect. Supple and gently sweet, with good lift to its black raspberry and boysenberry flavors. Smooth and broad on the finish, leaving behind a hint of spiciness. Extremely easy to drink and an excellent value.

My Review: I've gotten to try a lot more Garnacha wines lately, and I really liked this one.  I got some strange initial smells, ranging from cocoa to flint to ceran wrap.  Much differently, the taste had a mild smoky cedar flavor, and it was slightly more astringent than some of the other wines I tried on Thursday.  The cherry flavors worked well with the cedar flavors, I thought.    

No food with this one, although I can see it working really well with some good Italian sausage and pasta sauce, because of the spicy quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment