Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tasting 28. March - Montebuena



Name: Montebuena
Variety: 100% Tempranillo
Region: Rioja
Country: Spain
Year: 2010

Price: $8.95

Wine Shop Review: Ripe cherry and blackcurrant on the nose and in the mouth. Pliant and seamless in texture, with good heft and back-end energy. Finishes smooth and sweet, with fine-grained tannins providing shape and grip. Still on the young side but this wine drinks very well with an hour or so of decanting; it’s an excellent value for Rioja.

My Review: This wine had kind of a lighter red color.  I thought the nose had a kind of cocoa/caramel element that I have picked up in a few wines that I've tried recently, but the taste seemed rather far from this.  It had an earthy element that seems to be a characteristic of Tempranillo, and it also had a tannic, more stingy alcohol flavor rather than the fruit flavors that maybe would have helped to balance the hotness of the wine.  Not bad, but overall not one I would buy.

I did not have food with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment