Sunday, April 14, 2013

11. April Tasting - Caprice de Bastor-Lamontagne



Name: Caprice de Bastor - Lamontagne
Variety: 60% Semillion, 36% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Muscadelle
Region: Sauternes
Country: France
Year: 2004
Price: $7.95

Wine Shop Review: Very clean, with lemon, mineral and honey aromas that follow through to a medium body. Shows vanilla, apple and melon flavors, with a medium finish. Lightly sweet.

My Review: This was a nice dessert wine from Sauternes - though I'm not usually for dessert wines, this one got the thumbs up for me.  It had a light yellow color, and nice lemon and vanilla flavors on the nose.  It had a heavier mouth feel than I expected, and I thought it tasted very much like saffron juice, which is a sweet, honey-like juice that has a kind of unique flavor.  Fortunately, I was able to try some saffron juice earlier this month, and the flavors there were very similar to what I got here, and I was able to put my finger on that unique flavor, since it's different than many other things.  The Semillon, Sauv Blanc, Muscadelle blend seemed like a really good idea, and those grapes worked well together.  

I did not have food with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment