Sunday, April 14, 2013

11. April Tasting - Torre Castillo Alegre



Name: Torre Castillo Alegre
Variety: 100% Monastrell
Region: Jumilla
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $9.95

Wine Shop Review: 4 months in new American oak barrels. Bright ruby-red. Dried cherry, pipe tobacco and rose aromas, with a hint of woodsmoke. Sweet and fleshy on the palate, with blackberry and cherry flavors complimented by licorice and a suggestion of dried herbs. The cherry and smoke notes repeat on the finish.

My Review: This one for me was very weird - it definitely had the most interesting nose of the bunch.  It had some very bold smells, with syrupy cocoa elements, a little bit of a woody quality, and then a very apparent aroma of soy sauce.  Needless to say, I was taken aback by that one, but it was clear as day for me that that was the smell I was getting.  The taste didn't really change much, I thought it had a slight cocoa flavor, but once again, that soy sauce element didn't do it for me, and I don't think I liked this one at all.

I did not have food with this, but soy sauce might go well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment