Sunday, April 14, 2013

11 April Tasting - Smoking Loon Sauvignon Blanc



Name: Smoking Loon Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2009
Price: $7.95

Wine Shop Review: This bleached blonde beauty is reminiscent of fresh green apples, pineapple and has hints of hibiscus blossoms. The concentration of zesty lemon and gooseberry fills your mouth leaving notes of thyme and melon behind. The bright acid in this wine gives you a zing  while the fruit keeps your mouth watering for more. This wine pairs beautifully with a grilled prawn salad with a grapefruit vinaigrette, veggie spring rolls or grilled tilapia with mango salsa.

My Review: I haven't tried many Sauvignon Blanc wines yet, and so far, I haven't been a big fan of the ones I have tried.  That being said, I was eager to have my opinion changed.  This wine had a really  nice golden color, a little bit darker than I expected for what it was.  It had mild apple flavors on the nose, and I think I got a little bit of a citric acidity on the nose as well; I definitely got that from the palate.  It had a dry, crisp, acidic apple flavor, and I also feel like I got a little bit of tropical fruit.  The wine shop review calls it "zesty" and I'd have to agree with that word for this one.  Not bad, but nothing that really got me excited, so I'm still searching for a great Sauvignon Blanc.

I did not have food with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment