Sunday, February 17, 2013



Name: Lavarini Valpolicella Classico
Variety: 65% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella, 10% Molinara
Region: Valpolicella
Country: Italy
Year: 2010
Price: $6.95

Wine Shop Review: The red ruby color and the dry taste give this wine joviality and cordiality. It is fresh and fruity, with lovely strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors, with nice spice and a silky texture.

My Review: This wine had a really pungent, spicy nose, and also what seemed to me to be almost a cocoa smell.  I was intrigued by this one because I had never tried any of these grapes...of course, since it was a kind of motley blend, I didn't really identify any specific flavors that I think would define these grapes.  I'll have to try some varietals again to see if any flavors really stand out in the varietal.  The taste was kind of unexpected, I found it to be a smoky, barbecue flavor.  It was almost too smoky though, and not necessarily what I hoped for.  

I did not have food with this, but frankly, it might be cool to try this one with some barbecued steak or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment